Friday, July 28, 2017

Colonial Michilimackinac

After our night of fireworks we were going to head back home but first I told hubby we need to go to the fort, I hadn't been there since I was a kid and we have been up to Mackinaw city many times and never stopped and he had never been at all so we decided to spend the morning at the Fort before making our trip home.

I loved the texture in the roof and the different ways they did the chimneys on these houses.


They have people in almost every building telling you a bit of history about each one.


As you can see by the flag at the fort, it was under British rule at the time, and there wasn't any breeze :(


Had to get another view of the bridge


Standing in one battlement to get pictures of the other ones, I took the following pictures from the walk that went around the fort.


Don't they have a nice raise garden going here.


I just love the roof and the arches you can see in the middle building there


Yep another view of the bridge through the buildings :)



You may have noticed in some of the other shots the excavating going on down there between the buildings, they said they always have some people in there working to find items that they soldiers and families left behind when leaving the fort.  There was a whole museum under one of the buildings with many of the items they had found, so interesting, and it  came at just the right time too, it was nice and cool down there and after being in the hot sun for over an hour it felt really nice.



I didn't get many pictures when we went back down into the fort I was so busy reading and listening to to the people, but I did manage a couple.. As you know from some of my past picture posts, I do love my doors and handles and I just thought this was a neat lock.


She was getting the water nice and hot so she could do the laundry, so glad we don't have to deal with all of this today, makes me really appreciate my washer :)  One of the soldiers in the buildings said that the wives of the married soldiers would do the men's laundry for a fee and sometimes they would make more money than the soldiers brought in.


On our way out we caught them getting the cannon ready to shoot off, I stopped taking pictures here  and took video of it on my phone.

Here is a photo my hubby took of the cannon firing.


Sorry about the long post, I sure have a hard time deciding on what to post, it is so much easier when I don't have many photo's to choose from, LOL!

Thanks for stopping by today, and I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Connie

15 comments:

Sandra said...

Such a nice visit to a historic place. Seems you are having a wonderful summer; making nice memories! I think I could spend all day there seeing, hearing and learning all about the past. Love seeing all your photo's.

Anonymous said...

In the first picture, the chimneys are so tall! Interesting pictures ~ I love looking at revolutionary war era stuff. Have you seen the television show TURN on AMC? My husband and I really enjoy it. We have bought each of the seasons when it is on. xo

Louca por porcelana said...

Great photos!Hugs!

Janice said...

Super photos as always Connie, it looks as though it was a fantastic visit for you with fab weather!

Esther Asbury said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos! That last one looks like a postcard - love the puff of white against that blue, blue sky!

Kim said...

Oh, I didn't think your post was long at all, Connie. I enjoyed wandering around the fort. Thank you for sharing your trip with us. So many gorgeous buildings there. Thank goodness for modern conveniences such as washing machines and air conditioners. =)

handmade by amalia said...

I love this place! That gray house with the raised veg and herb beds has my heart.
Amalia
xo

Leslie Miller said...

Very interesting! All so nice and neat and pretty. I wouldn't want to do laundry like that, wearing that outfit in the blistering heat. Whew! I love seeing these pics of a place I've never been, so different from around here. It's never too many for me. Thanks, Connie!

April said...

Your pictures are wonderful! makes me want to go there. Thanks for sharing!

Pam Sparks said...

Awesome post! What a neat place to visit and learn history! Thanks for sharing Connie!

Birgit said...

What awesome photo's! I love visual historic places like this. I like to think about what it would have been like to live back then. I kind of like our modern conveniences today.... Like a washer and dryer. ;0) What a fabulous place to visit!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Nice photos! I wonder if that fort is one of the ones talked about in the Frontiersmen book series. DH read those over the winter and like the history. I remember driving on that bridge with my sister, she is afraid of bridges. lol. Have a great day, Connie!

Debbie said...

you have a keen eye for the beautiful, i too envy that raised garden!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

What a great post.
Loved seeing all of your photographs.

All the best Jan

Donna Phelan said...

Fabulous photos! What beautiful weather you are having. I don't think I can pronounce your Post Title lol