Thursday, July 13, 2017

Pastels

I am posting another challenge I did today, this time it was Pastels, now I will have to say that I am more of earth tones kind of gal I think, so trying to make sure it was all soft pastels was certainly a challenge.  You can find all about the challenge and see some wonderful inspiration HERE on the Double D Challenge Blog .

I was not going to even post this card but I thought maybe I would and get some feedback on how you feel I could have done things differently, and maybe even change something before I send it out in the mail.  All of these elements are different stamps, and after I had stamped the one flower and realized there are 3 stems, I masked the front flower and added the two others.  I stamped them with spun sugar distress inks, then water colored the flowers in with the same color and then went over the lines with a darker victorian velvet distress ink.  Trying to keep it pastel I was going very light but my hubby said I needed more definition to the flowers, so I let it dry and went over it again, but I don't know it just still doesn't look right to me.


I was going for the look that the flowers and sentiment frame were sitting on a table so I cut the oval die twice to give it more of a table feel.  Popped up the top of the frame and have the bottom part sitting on the table.  Added some wink of stella clear glitter to the water in the jar.  Instead of inking around the edges like I usually do I did some piercing all around the edges.

Stampendous -- Bouquet for you stamp set, watercolor with distress inks and cut out
Distress inks -- Tumbled glass, bundled sage, spun sugar and victorian velvet
My mind's eye -- Lost and found paper
Spellbinders -- Oval  and timeless rectangle dies
Sequins
Hand piercing around the edges

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today, I feel like I am still playing catch up trying to get to everyone's blogs myself.

Connie

Edited..... Here is a picture of a retry of the flowers after Leslie gave me some ideas!! Thanks Leslie!


19 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

It's funny how we all have our little niche where we feel comfortable - yours being "earth tones!" I personally enjoy trying things outside my comfort zone - sometimes they turn out and sometimes they end up in the trash!
Love your pretty pastel card - I think you nailed it with those lovely roses! Love the little table top you created as well. Very soft and feminine!

Leslie Miller said...

Connie, it's very pretty and I love how you made the table top and tucked the sentiment behind. I keep looking at the flowers and wondering what, if anything, you could have done differently. Pastels can be tricky because if you add too much definition they no longer look like pastels. I have one idea. I'll email you. Hugs!

Leslie Miller said...

ps: Forgot my DT hat for a moment... I'm so glad you played along with us at Double D! And, seriously, your pastel roses are gorgeous!

Beth Norman said...

What a pretty card. I don't think I'd change a thing. Your pastels are lovely. Was it hard for you to work outside your box of usual colours? I know it's difficult for me. Almost all my work involves Tempting Turquoise, lime green or bright pink--LOL. Today I'm actually working on orange and yellow.

Donna Ellis said...

Your oval certainly does look like a table top, Connie, and your colors are perfect for the DD theme! It's a gorgeous card, and I love all the textures you achieved! hugs, de

Debbie said...

this card is perfect - just the way it is!! i LOVE the colors!!

Susan aka rainy said...

This is lovely, Connie. The pastel roses are masked beautifully as well.

Louca por porcelana said...

Very beautiful,I think it's perfect!Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Connie. I've never heard of spun sugar distressed ink. Sounds delicious though. :-)

Donna Phelan said...

Maybe you should use them more, as this is a BEAUTY! I always love a jar or a glass or a bottle of pretty posies on a card. Your flowers are gorgeous and I just adore that simple and stunning sentiment--we should all do that more! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Double D Challenge Blog, Pastel Party. Donna, DT Member.

Janice said...

I love your pretty pastel card. Your jar of flowers is just gorgeous, nothing to change at all!

Darlene said...

LOL ... I think you're being too hard on yourself my friend! I think you did a lovely job and yes, pastels can turn into 'brights' real quick if you're not careful but I think hubby had a good point in this case. Your card is lovely and I'm sure will bring a smile! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Pastels’ challenge! We hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

Diane said...

Wonderful colors and what a fun flower design.

Hugs Diane

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

The way you colored those flowers gives such a unique look! Great pastel card!

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm catching up with blog reading myself!

I think this card looks good and I was pleased to read that your sisters card turned up late but ok. It was such a lovely design.

My good wishes for the weekend.

All the best Jan

Stamping With Bibiana said...

lovely card...good luck on the challenge
warm hello from California
bibiana

baili said...

how pretty it is my friend!
sometime you get better when try harder

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful designed creation, very creative, for our current challenge PASTEL PARTY, ...hope to see you next challenge.. Double D Challenges{DT aNNie}

Monika.Buzsy said...

Very pretty card Connie. I do agree that the second one came out better, just because the colors are richer. The sequins are a nice touch.