Thursday, September 28, 2017

Alcohol ink floating background

One of the girls in my stamping group shared THIS VIDEO on this technique, I had never heard of it before and it was fun to play with.  At first I did it on watercolor paper, like he says, but then I thought how would it work on glossy paper which is what I always use alcohol inks on, and this was my results.

Watercolor paper



Glossy paper


Sorry as I was doing this I never wrote down any of the inks I used, I just had them all lined up and would just put drops in of all different colors.

You can probably tell which background I used for the following cards, this was my first card. I did add a few touches of marker to the flowers and the stem.


Tim Holtz -- THMM107 stamp set, colored w/markers
My Favorite things -- Label Maker sentiments stamp and stitched Rectangle word window dies

Next card was for my nephew and I wanted to do like an Autumn scene, this was done on Glossy paper. The deer and front tree were all stamped on regular cardstock and then colored with pencils, the background trees were first stamped with a green memento ink, that didn't work at all, I let it dry for a little while and stamped again with brown stazon and that gave me the color that the trees ended up being.



Heartfelt Creations -- Woodsy Critters stamps and die set, Woodsy Treescape stamp set  and Woodsy
   Landscape die set, Colored w/pencils
Hero Arts - Birthday messages stamp set fussy cut

This last card was also done on Glossy paper, I added a touch of the metallic silver alcohol ink just to see what it does in the water and as you can tell it doesn't mix as well as the others. It is right under the envelope.  The border, envelope and tag are from Esther, I just added a little bit of chalk to the border and some stickles to the centers and added a sentiment to the tag.

 
Border, envelope and tag RAK
Paper smooches - Happy Birthday sentiment stamp
Stickles - Dusty concord
Chalk on border
Martha Stewart -- butterfly punch
Enamel Accents -- white

If you have the supplies why not give this a try, I love watching how it will come out, you just never know.  The glossy cardstock was very flimsy after getting wet but dried ok.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today!!

Connie

15 comments:

Louca por porcelana said...

Beautiful cards,dear Connie!Hugs!

Lady Jane said...

So very pretty. These should be put in a frame. Hugs, lj

Darlene said...

OH YES ... glossy paper is better by far ... that is if you want to bolder colors! But the soft color on the watercolor paper speaks to me too! Great job! You've turned them all into amazing creations! YOU GO GIRL!!

Donna Ellis said...

Wow! What a great use of the AI's, Connie! I love how different your four cards are - I have never tried anything other than glossy, so thank you for the tip! Beautifully done! hugs, de

cotnob said...

Beautiful cards, they are both fabulous but I especially like the one with the flowers - gorgeous colours.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Anonymous said...

Connie, I love the watercolors all blended together. Especially the last card! I've read about the technique but haven't tried it yet. Now I need to! xo

Diane said...

Fabulous technique Connie, all your designs are really pretty.

Hugs Diane

Donna Phelan said...

BEAUTIFUL backgrounds! I haven't used my alcohol inks in forever! I tend to be a bit overzealous, think muddy lol Yours are stunning! I especially love your floral happy birthday card. Fantastic!

Christine said...

Oh I love this technique & it does seem to work best on the glossy paper.
You made wonderful cards from them!
Happy weekend!

Leslie Miller said...

Gosh, you made all those backgrounds plus three cards? You're on a roll! Beautiful, too! I truly love those Woodsy Heartfelt stamps. In my whole life I've only owned three alcohol inks and I gave those to a friend when I cleaned out my room. Then she turned around and made a bunch of backgrounds for me. What a friend!

Janice said...

They are all beautiful backgrounds, how different they look on different papers.
Your cards are gorgeous, particularly love the flower ones :-)

Debbie said...

the paper you made is so pretty, so unique - both ways it is beautiful!!

everything you make connie is made with talent and love, i hope your nephew feels that when he opens the card you made for him!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

You've created some very nice cards here Connie.

All the best Jan

Beth Norman said...

Your results turned out well, especially on the glossy paper. Oh my gosh, your card for your nephew totally rocks my world. The 3D effect is awesome. Very professionally done.

Esther Asbury said...

Those are some awesome background you created! I especially love the woodsy scene you created with the HC stamps!