Friday, January 4, 2019

Challenges

My cardmaking group had some challenges for January 1st to start off the New Year, there was going to be a new challenge posted every two hours and so many in the group were saying they either couldn't do them on that day or they couldn't get them all done in a day so they changed it to having until the end of January 2nd.  I managed to get them all done in the 2 days but let's just say I slept good each night, it really tired me out, but I did get caught up on quite a few cards and that is always a good thing :)

First challenge was to use any items that you had left over on your desk.  It just so happens I have a basket I keep on my desk that I throw any items that I have used on a card or things that didn't end up on cards, just in case I can use it on another project, well all I can say is it is quite full, so I ended up making two cards.

You may have noticed this first card I had kept the leftovers from making the retirement card.  I had this piece of a crackle background I had made so I put that behind.  The flowers were all cut from a piece of watercolor paper I had in the basket. A friend from church gifted me a jar full of quotes and so I used one of them on this card.


Spellbinders - Daisy Flower topper and vintage florets dies
Vintage photo stickles, flower centers

The next card, I had cut a little opening out of this die I had cut and after doing it I wasn't so sure, I think this piece has been in this basket for over a year and I finally used it!! first I had planned to put a sentiment in the little opening but when I found this sentiment tag I had made I thought it would work on this card and it would be another thing to get out of my stash.  So I grabbed some butterfly stamps and stamped them on another piece of paper from the basket and cut them out and added them to the card,



Recollections - butterfly stamps

It felt good to make cards using so many items from the basket but the sad thing is I can't even tell I had taken anything out.  Wondering if I should through it all in my recycle bin and start off new this year with a clean basket.  We will see if that happens.

The next challenge was to use a heart on a card.  I reached for my coloring calendar and sure enough I had a heart in there so I colored it up in cream and tried to do an Ombre effect with pinks and reds.



Coloring for calm calendar image colored w/pencils
My mind's eye- quite contrary summer papers
Martha Stewart - border punch
Spellbinders- scalloped classic oval die
Sticker sentiment
Sequins


Thanks so much for stopping by today, I will share more challenges tomorrow.

Connie

14 comments:

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Three lovely cards. I especially like the botanical paper on the first card. You always do a great job of combining die cut shapes into your cards. I think that is great to use things from your desk. I cleaned mine up a bit yesterday and have quite a pile of half done projects.

Donna Ellis said...

Love all three, Connie! I must really like pink a lot, because whenever I see shades of pink, my "Happy" happies right up! I also LOVE that pretty botanical mixed with the gold coloring in your first card, and the monochrome creation is wonderful! hugs, de

Esther Asbury said...

Three beautiful cards! I especially love the heart one - so pretty!

Leslie Miller said...

You made such pretty use of your spare parts, Connie! I keep trying to use mine, but also keep adding to it. I've cleared it out before. Some parts are too good to throw away, such as what you incorporated into your first two cards. Beautiful! Adorable pink card with the frilly and feminine heart, too. Funny how exhausting a day of stamping can be, but you did good with these challenges!

Louca por porcelana said...

Awesome cards!Hugs!

Debbie said...

all 3 cards are beautiful...i have not seen one challenge you did not excel at!!

this is a great way to use up scraps and to not waste anything!!!

Janice said...

What an achievement, well done! Your cards are fabulous and fit the challenges so well.

Kim said...

Gosh, what an exhausting challenge! Though I am not surprised at all that you created all these beautiful cards out of that basket of 'scraps' on your desk.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Good golly you have a lot of "stuff" on your desk. A definite benefit for the challenge. Love the black bg against the yellow in your first card, the butterflies in your second and that darling heart in the third card.

Darlene said...

WOW what fun and good for you for completing the task with such beauties!! Great job and awesome inspiration to the rest of us!!

Anonymous said...

You have been busy, Connie! Love the quotes and the cards. The heart card is so feminine and dainty!

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning post, the cards are just so pretty. I can see you enjoyed making them.xx

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Clever work Connie...love them all but think first one might just win.
I need to get up and join in too!
Blessings for 2019. I've started a new devotional blog I hope you might enjoy?
Link below.. 😊💕
Hugs Shaz in Oz.x
https://wonderfulwordsoflifebyshazinoz.blogspot.com/

Donna Phelan said...

Oh what FUN Challenges! Each card is so pretty and so different than the last. Loving those pretty yellow flowers, beautiful blue butterflies and that magnificent heart! And I really love all of the pretty colors, it's so nice to see them after Christmas and Winter cards!