Monday, January 28, 2019

Embossed Resist

Our stamp group is having a week of challenges and ever since I watched Jennifer McGruire's post HERE, I have been wanting to give it a try since I didn't know you could use Alcohol inks on anything but glossy surfaces, I kind of liked the matte finish it gave to this card.

I first embossed the tree and all the leaves with with embossing powder. I embossed on the smoother side of my watercolor paper for the main image and then embossed the extra leaves that I wanted to cut out and pop up on the rough side of another sheet of water color paper.  I will have to say I liked the outcome on the smoother side so was very glad I did the main images on that side, you really can't tell with the ones that I cut out.


I used 3 inks and a gold mixative, I must not have put my cap on tight enough last time on the mixative and it was dried up, I added some blending solution to it and it seemed to revive it just enough for me to get some out and add it to it, you can see it a little better on the side view.


Next time I would like to try it with some lighter colors and flowers, but I was in need of a masculine card so I went with this. There was a little more color left on the embossing than I liked so I put a little blending solution on a Q tip and went over the embossing lightly to remove some of the color.

Water color paper
Alcohol inks - Meadow, stream and Latte with gold mixative
Papertrey ink - Might Oak stamp w/ white embossing powder
Die Versions - celebrate die cut twice

Our week is starting off rainy and gloomy with very cold temps coming.  I can't really complain after seeing the temperatures that they will be getting north of us.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by today,

Connie

17 comments:

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I really like it! I think it looks like patina. I am looking forward to trying this!

Debbie said...

it's just wonderful that you are still learning and challenging yourself. this card is beautiful, i just love the effect on the green!!!

Diane said...

Wonderful texture and design Connie.

Hugs Diane

Roosterhead Designs said...

What a beautiful look Connie! I really admire your adventurous spirit; trying dif techniques! Great results~ Hugs, karen o

Donna Ellis said...

HI, Connie! Hope you are staying warm! Loving your resist project with the modern tree and gorgeously colored background! hugs, de

Kim said...

I love how you always experiment with different methods and techniques, Connie. Another fabulous card which no doubt you have learnt new things to store for another card. Stay warm.

Esther Asbury said...

What a fun card, Connie! I love that green background and the popped up leaves!
BTW - I use Canson watercolor paper from (available from Walmart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canson-XL-Mixed-Media-Sketchpad-7-x-10-inches/34580249) -- it's thin and runs through my printer just fine. You might give it a try!

Zaa said...

Oh yes...I'm going to try this ..I love how it turned out..I’ve just started using alcohol inks...it’s like a whole new world to explore...Good for you for taking on the challenges... Enjoy your week...Hugs

Anonymous said...

Connie, you always find such interesting techniques to use with your cards. Very Nice!

Louca por porcelana said...

It is pretty!Hugs,dear friend!

Leslie Miller said...

Someday I'll use my 3 alcohol inks, sigh... I'll check out this technique because I do like the look of your background. Pretty tree for the emboss resist. It makes a nice masculine card, but would be just fine for a female, too. I love it!

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely use of the inks and a beautiful result.xx

Janice said...

Lovely technique, your card is perfect. A great first attempt!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Clever work, Connie, would never have thought of this design but then dont have those stamps, how clever to use alcholl ink s on watercolour used them on gloss or photo paper for ordinary card but not water colour. Great male card, love it.
Hugs Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}
{Wonderful Words Of Life - Shaz in Oz}

Donna Phelan said...

This is a beauty, love the white as it really POPS! I also love this technique, yet I never seem to do it....why? Great design, Connie.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like the texture, well done.

All the best Jan

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Lovely results with your challenge. Indeed it does look masculine with the colours you used. Great work, Connie.