Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Pillowtop technique challenge

My stamping group had a week of challenges while I was gone on my trip to Michigan.  So bummed I couldn't play along with them but I have decided to still do a few of the challenges they did.  This one was called Pillowtop technique. If you would like to try this technique yourself  HERE is the link to the video .


I couldn't get the color correct of the background, it is a little darker in these pictures.  The coloring of the flower was done with the same inks.  I used plain cardstock for the background and stamped and watercolored the flower and dragonfly on watercolor paper.
I stamped the butterfly with a green ink onto the watercolor paper and then went over it a little with my waterbrush to blend the color a little bit, after it dried I added a lot of stickles to the wings and let that all dry over night, came back the next day and cut the dragonfly out, I like that better than how I would normally cut it out and then add the stickles, this way the paper was even thicker and made for cutting out a small stamp a little easier. Stickles were also added to the flower center for more sparkle.  I did two of these backgrounds but I haven't used the other one yet, but I am sure you will be seeing that soon :)

Inkadinkado -- Beauty Stems from here, stamp set, water color with distress inks
Distress ink -- Dried Marigold, Tumbled glass and two greens that I forgot to right down
Dashes Dots and checks -- Ribbon
Stickles -- Diamond
David Tutera - Celebrate sentiment

I am entering this card in the Sisterhood of Crafters Background challenge.

Hope you all enjoyed a nice 4th of July weekend.
Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today and your comments,

Connie

18 comments:

Darlene said...

This is awesome Connie! I just watched Gina K's video and will be giving this a try myself later today! OH and BTW ... you still have time to enter your beautifully created card into our CREATE YOUR OWN BACKGROUND challenge at the Sisterhood of Crafter. I'm sure many others would like to give this technique a try. Thanks for fabulous inspiration and have a happy day!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Connie, this card is gorgeous. Love it and the background is so pretty.
I love the shading. Adding the little dragon fly is so cute. Looks like a great technique and you always do such beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.
Have a great day. xo Blessings!

Unknown said...

What a pretty technique! Love your colors and that fabulous flower! Just lovely--like all over! ;)

Marie-Louise said...

Gorgeous card Connie. Love the technique.

Lowcarb team member said...

Looks a fabulous card , that dragon fly is a nice finish to the design.

All the best Jan

Donna Ellis said...

How beautiful, Connie! Lovely summer colors, and fabulous background! Thanks for sharing the link! I'm off to check it out. Hugs, de

Diane said...

Wow Connie love the bright orange color, lovely flower and design.

Hugs Diane

Hussena said...

Gorgeous card, Connie. Love the background you have created using the technique. Love the coloring on the image as well!

Debbie said...

you know what i love about this card, the random spacing. i LOVE that the flower is off to the side, just slightly, and the placement of the dragonfly and the sentiment!! everything is so pretty, this card makes me feel happy!!!

and happy that i could see your post today!!!

Stamping With Bibiana said...

loving it
bibiana

Leslie Miller said...

Your background turned out amazing, Connie! Love the color as represented in the photo, but if it's actually lighter than this I would love that, too. Your dragonfly looks like a sticker I would buy because it's so pretty. They do have very sparkly, shimmery wings in real life. I like the idea of glitter before cutting, too, since it's so small. Beautiful flower stamp looking so pretty with your background. You really did a super job on this!

Anonymous said...

Connie, what a stunning shade of orange! Love it!

Darlene said...

As you probably know by now, I just HAD to give this technique a whirl and actually made two cards and posted them to my blog HERE. You are such an enabler! LOL! This is so, so pretty and your coloring of the flower & dragonfly are awesome! All around AWESOME card creation! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘CREATE YOUR OWN BACKGROUND’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit!

Kim said...

Another lovely technique in the making of this beautiful card. This lovely birthday greeting couldn't but bring a ray of warm sunshine to somebody's day. The flower puts a smile on my face and the sweet addition of the dragon fly is perfect.

Janice said...

Gorgeous card, love the colours you have used and the background is beautiful. Off to have a look at the link you have posted.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Connie, I just watched the video and love this technique. Gina really made it look so simple, and I need to make some baby cards and will try the pastels that she recommended. Your card is gorgeous, and I love this background with the sweet flower! Beautifully colored, and I love how you've added the ribbon and the dragonfly! Sweetness!! Hugs, my friend!

Birgit said...

Your pillow top card came out fabulous Connie! I just recently tried this technique as well. I should probably post about it huh? I enjoyed seeing the results appear.

Linda Walker said...

Oh this one is gorgeous Connie! Love the color of the background and of course that dragonfly! So nice for summer too!
Linda