Monday, October 26, 2020

Gel plate

 My stamp group this month tried out working with a gel plate in our zoom meeting. I had to go buy one, I found the last one Hobby Lobby had. I have been admiring what others have done creating with a gel plate and so I was quite excited about giving it a go, I did not try it out first before our meeting but I had watched some video's ahead of time so I kind of knew what we would be doing.

I had not checked my paints ahead of time and when I went to use them they were a mess, all that would come out was water and so I was a bit behind the rest until I got everything set straight so I did do some things wrong and I think I used to much paint, it is one of those projects that you need to get the right amounts to get good results, I am happy with a couple of them and hope to share later but first I am sharing one of the first steps that we did and we did it on scrap paper but I liked how it turned out so I used it on this card for my friend.

I couldn't tell you what color paints this was, no time to figure all that out.  We mixed the different paints onto the gel plate, then laid a stencil on top and then laid our paper on top to get the first impression.  When I went to make the card I added some old paper distress ink over the whole sheet and then went around the edges with gathered twigs ink.


I stamped and colored the flowers and leaves and fussy cut them out, they seemed to get lost in the pattern underneath so I wanted to have a base for it but I wanted it in brown tones and then I remembered I had used tea bags I saved, so I cut out a die with it and it worked to place my arrangement.  The butterfly was from another project I had done earlier,


Gel plate background using paints
Folk art stencil - Lovely Floral
Distress inks - Old paper and Gathered twigs
Bobunny - Flower garden stamp set, colored w/ markers and fussy cut
Spellbinders - Picot edge circle die w/used tea bag
Butterfly stamp, fussy cut
Liquid pearls


Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today, have a fantastic week!

Connie

15 comments:

Darlene said...

WOW! Just BEAUTIFUL!!

Donna Ellis said...

Your experiment worked out fantastically, Connie! I, too, recently discovered that many of my paints had degraded. The paints that lasted longest were NOT the expensive paints. They were the Luna Lites and Createx Paints (acrylic). They lasted much better than the el cheapo paints as well. I have a gel plate but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the inspiration, and for continuing despite the obstacles! hugs, de

Louca por porcelana said...

What beautiful card!Hugs!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Gorgeous Connie. I went to bed at 630 that night and slept straight through until morning. Looks like I missed alot of fun.

Kim said...

Gosh, this techniques sounds a bit tricky. I love how you are always enthusiastic to give new things a go. This card is lovely.

Donna Phelan said...

I have never used a gel plate but have always been intrigued by the technique. I think your car came out beautifully and I rather love the paint color as is, whatever color it is...it's perfect for Fall!

Esther Asbury said...

This is so beautiful Connie! I love that gel print background! (My first attempts at using it never turned out this gorgeous, so I'd say you've mastered it already!)

Debbie said...

you always create beautiful cards in these zoom meetings!! i wouldn't worry about knowing the color, that's what makes it so unique to you!! all the embellishments work perfectly together, another win/win!!

i am glad for you that you have another great tool to work with!!

R's Rue said...

😃❤️👍

aussie aNNie said...

This is stunning, the colours and complete design, wow...xx♥

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Very pretty design and colors!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!
Hugs,
Debbie

Lowcarb team member said...

A nice Autumnal design.

All the best Jan

Leslie Miller said...

Gosh, Connie, it turned out beautiful, especially considering this was your first time with a gel plate and you had the trouble with the paints. It's a pretty stencil and I love your cute flowers and butterfly.

Anonymous said...

Connie, I'm not sure what a gel plate is but I love your card. That metallic color is gorgeous as in the flower! Great job!

Janice said...

Your first attempt with your gel plate is amazing, you have created a fabulous card.