Friday, May 29, 2015

Rubber stamp faux mosaic

I think that is the name they gave this technique anyway.  I had seen this technique quite awhile ago but that was before Pinterest, LOL!  So when I had some extra rubber, you know back in the day when you had to cut the stamps out yourself, I saved the rubber to do this technique ..... well as I do I saved it away for when I wanted to try it and then when I came across it much later I thought what was I saving this rubber for, but I continued to save it just in case I remembered, then the other day cardmaker magazine blog had the technique on their blog and I was so excited that I found what to do with my extra rubber that I pinned it and made it the next day.  Well I just went to go get the link for you and it has been taken away.  I will try my best to explain.

I took my left over rubber that I saved.  Found a stamp block that I have never used, it came in a set of stamps I bought at a yard sale, so I just used that to glue my cut up pieces of rubber, leaving a little bit of a gap between the pieces.


You will have a colored picture or any image you have ready the same size as the rubber you have done or smaller.  I then inked up my rubber with Versamark ink or any clear embossing ink you may have, and placed my stamped and colored image on top of my rubber so I could make sure it was lined up correctly, I put another sheet of paper over that and while holding one side down I would rub one half of the image and then do the other half the same way and carefully lifted my image off and then added my clear embossing powder.  Heat set the embossing powder.  Now this is the mistake I made you were suppose to let it cool completely before inking your image but I went right to inking and I think that is why I had a little bit of a blur around the edges.  I believe the girl use a brayer to add ink, but I just took my blending ink tool from Tim Holtz to apply my ink.

Here is my finished card I made for my little brother.



Stampscapes -- Cabin, colored w/markers and used the technique above
Spellbinders -- Labels 29 and A2 matting basics A dies
Hot off the press -- Sarabooks ivory papers and tag
Gina K designs -- tag lines sentiment stamp
Poppystamps -- Leafy sprig die
Button
Twine

I hope if you have some extra rubber lying around and want to try this that my instructions are clear enough for you.

Thanks so much for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend,

Connie

5 comments:

Debbie said...

oooooo how clever, i LOVE the end result!! a beautiful card, as always!!! you are very talented, always thinking outside the box!!!!

Christine said...

Great technique, Connie! Very clever of you to put the stamp together too!

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a great technique Connie. Love the masculine colors and image.

Leslie Miller said...

I kind of like that blur around the edges. Unique, interesting, and very cool!

Beth Norman said...

Really nice work. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

aka Canadian, eh!