Thursday, April 25, 2019

Fort Kaskaskia

Before I share about our day out last week I thought I would share a card that I made using the rest of the Acetate pieces I made Here last month. Some of the other girls in the group used glitter on their's and I really liked how that turned out so I added stickles to the back of mine but it still didn't show very well, I think I chose the wrong kind of stamps to use on these there should be more open space.


The flower didn't show up well against this paper and I had this flower that I had stamped a script onto laying on my desk when I held it up to it the acetate flower showed up better so I just decided to use that instead of a doily that I had planned on. The background was a stenciled background I had made a while back. I cut the whole side of the card, front and back with this die border.

Studio 490 - Vintage Quilt Stencil
Die'sire - Beautiful borders die
Tim Holtz - Tattered Floral die, stamped with script
Heartfelt creations - Flower and leaf and die set stamped onto Acetate w/stickles added



After we had finished with Pyramid state park we still had time left before the sun would set. So we headed to Fort Kaskaskia State Historic site. We haven't been there in the spring time so we thought we would see what it looks this time of year.

The first thing you come upon is the cemetery.



We couldn't get over all the color in the grass as we were driving in  so we went and parked the van and headed back to get pictures of all the flowers in the grass.






We headed back to the van to get our sandwiches we picked up on the way at Subway and had a little picnic before the sun started to set. And was it ever a beautiful sunset. I don't remember seeing so much yellow in a sunset as I did in this one.






There is just something special about a sunset with some clouds over water it just gets me every time and never gets old :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today and say Hi,

Connie

14 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I love the smaller flower layered over the larger one -- it looks so pretty that way!
As always - beautiful nature pictures as well. I never tire of seeing the beauty of creation!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Very pretty card, it looks really polished to me. I like your travel photos. The one of the gnarly looking tree is neat.

Louca por porcelana said...

Gorgeous pics and pretty card!Hugs!

Debbie said...

your card is beautiful connie but the sunset stole the show for me. it is gorgeous and you captured some great pictures!!

those short, wildflowers are so pretty too!!!

Leslie Miller said...

Connie, it appears to me your acetate efforts paid off beautifully. I do see some of the glitter and your card looks extra pretty when I click for a close up. I love the flower with script, along with the stenciled background and pretty border. Now, your trip... what a day! How wonderful to visit such a beautiful place and sit and watch the sun go down, sigh. You know how I love it! Interesting and poignant about the settlers being moved there and so many with even whole families in a box. I felt a real twinge of sadness when I read that. A hard life, but I hope there was happiness in it for them. They're resting in a lovely, tranquil place and it was very decent of the folks responsible to move them. Thank you so much for sharing.

Birgit said...

Wow! So many beautiful photo's and your stunning card. I didn't want this post to end! You have an amazing eye for photograpy as well as card making. I enjoyed all this eye candy this morning.

Kim said...

That sunset is amazing! How perfect to witness all that grandeur whilst enjoying your sandwich. All those little flowers growing in the grass is a spectacular sight. Gorgeous photos you captured. Life is good! This is a pretty card, Connie. Love that pretty edging.

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hello to you Connie~ Thank you so much for sharing your tour with us!
Another beautiful experience for you guys! (the stuff life should be made of : )
I like your cards; always do! and I like how you experiment with dif looks also. This stenciled one is so pretty! and I like the focal point tattered flower! Have a blessed week-end~ hugs, karen o

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Connie! Beautiful floral creation with those fun layers and sparkly elements! Loved the intro to Garrison Hill Cemetery. What a labor of love and faith for the people to move all the remains like that to higher ground! And the field of violets is lovely! Thank you for sharing. hugs, de

Janice said...

Just catching up after a week away. Your cards as always have been fabulous and your photos amazing!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

It sounds like this card gave you trouble, but I think it looks perfect. Love the background and your flower is so lovely.

You and hubby go on a lot of excursions. I love seeing all your photos. The sunset is stunning, and of course I love that one tree.

Have a nice weekend.

Hugs.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Connie, lovely images can see sparkle on card.. well done..and love the flowers and sunsets, the heavens declare the glory of God, the firmament shows forth His handiwork. Ps 19.1
God bless dear Connie,
Hugs Shaz in Oz.x

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Donna Phelan said...

Pretty, pretty elements....pretty, pretty photos! Great post!

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photographs …
Lovely post.

All the best Jan