Thursday, March 9, 2023

in the woods

 I have a question for you all.  I started this card out as a Christmas card, and as I went on it didn't look very Christmas like to me so I turned it into a card for my nephews birthday.  When I showed my hubby and told him what I did, all he said is I really like that, so I guess it will be ok for his birthday card.  Just one of those cards that didn't turn out like I had intended, so just feels off. 

I love these ephemera images from Tim Holtz, there is even another of this tree just smaller in the pack. I stenciled the plaid background, added the punch grass and die cut the squirrel and birds.


  • Tim Holtz - Christmas Botanicals Layers Ephemera
  • Folk Art - Background Stencils Plaid
  • Distress ink - Rustic Wilderness
  • Impression Obsession - Squirrel Set
  • Die-Versions - Beautiful Bird Cages (birds)
  • Fiskars - Grass punch
  • Simon Says - tiny words birthday sentiment stamp
I am adding my card to the Double D Challenge which is Green

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today,

Connie

15 comments:

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I think it's beautiful and a perfect card for a guy!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I think it looks great! It turned into what it was meant to be. ;) I think your nephew will love it! xo

Pam said...

What an adorable card.

Donna Ellis said...

Knowing where you live, and where I live, it looks like Christmas to me, since the grass is always green and we have lots of squirrels LOL - but yes, it does look like a cozy Christmasy card, but it always looks like a friendly masculine card for a nature lover. So you did "good" either way! So pretty! And now I know what a "plaid-ish" background would look like, and it's fabulous! Thanks for the inspiration.
hugs,
de

The Happy Whisk said...

I like it! For Christmas or for a Birthday. Very, very fun.

Birgit said...

This is perfectly sweet Connie! I think it works well as a birthday card. I guess it depends on where you live. We get lots of snow so I guess I would correlate a Christmas card like this, as one that has snow. It works either way. Your nephew will love it, because of the love you put inside it.

April said...

Your card looks great. It couls pass for both a Christmas card and a birthday card. I love the scene you created.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful card, love it! Great colours and gorgeous design as well x
Thanks so much for entering also into our Green challenge at Double D x

Lisa said...

I love this as a non Christmas card. That tree is perfect to change out for a non Christmas card. Super stenciled background too.

Donna Phelan said...

Perfect for a winter or even spring birthday! Love the soft subtle stenciled background! Penny and I were in the yard yesterday and we found 2 Red Cardinals chatting it up! What a coincidence!

Esther Asbury said...

The tree could definitely be used for a Christmas card, but I think it turned out perfectly as a masculine birthday card with the green grass and little squirrel.

Debbie said...

i love this card and think it could go either way!! add a birthday sentiment or holiday wishes and that will make up your mind. or make another and then you will have it for both!! i would make another and use it for christmas!!

Lowcarb team member said...

I think it's a lovely card.
I like the squirrel and birds you've added.

All the best Jan

Leslie Miller said...

I think it was a good idea to turn it into a birthday card. It's easy to think of Christmas when looking at a Cardinal, just like I always think Christmas when I see a snowman. But it doesn't have to be. It's a great guy card year round!

Em Louise Fairley said...

I think it's perfect for either occasion xoxo