Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Felt Mat

I wanted to make a project to show how the Spellbinder dies work with wool felt, so I decided on this project, I have seen a lot of hexagon projects and really like the look so this is what I came up with.



I used the Spellbinders Hexagon die the second smallest size.  I think it took me about 15 minutes to cut them all out. After I cut them out I put them on a base of craft felt to see how big it would need to be, that is when I decided to use a dab of Fabri-Tac in the center of each hexagon and glued it to the base of felt so that I could still go around and hand sew them on the base.


Here is a close up of the hand stitching, I just did a running stitch all around through both the wool felt top and the craft felt bottom, it gives it a nice quilted look, I just love it.  After all my stitching was done I cut away the extra bit of craft felt I had for the base and it was done.



Here it is on my table with a candle, not sure yet how I am going to use it but thought I would just show you how I plan on putting something on it.   Oh how I love decorating for fall.  The girls at my Ladies craft night last night said I have way too much patience for all that stitching, to me it is fun and calming.  It probably took me at least 5 hours total to stitch it altogether but you could just glue it to a base of felt and not do the stitching.

Thanks so much for stopping by, hope your enjoying beautiful weather were you are at.  My prayers continue to go up for those in Colorado, New Jersey and the Navy yard who have suffered great loss.

Connie





12 comments:

Susan (rainy) said...

Oh my gosh, Connie!! This is fabulous. LOVE the hexagons, too!

Me, My Stamps and I said...

Such a sweet project, Connie!!!
love the fall colors!!!

Stephanie said...

Oh Connie, I LOVE your felt mat :) It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us and have a great weekend.

Hugs!

ChristineCreations said...

What as awesome design! I love how the felt looks. Great use of a die! And great patience with the stitching.

SarahGeorge said...

Oh, this is just beautiful Connie! Yes very delicate stitching and has come out very well :)

Yvonne B. said...

This is beautiful, Connie! I love the design, colors and your stitching is what really makes it! I like hand-stitching also--I just don't sit still long enough to do it!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

LOVE this felt mat!! Love the warm, rich colors, and the charming shape too!! What a super idea!!

Dolores Raml said...

Gorgeous mat Connie, I always find it relaxing to do stitching like that. I'm sure others will be inspired to try it too when you demo it at the store.

Leslie Miller said...

I've never tried cutting felt with my Spellbinders, but I've seen it done and this project turned out great! It makes a nice little hot pad for your candle!

Krystal Kats said...

Connie that is really nice and very creative. I love it! good job! Hugs

Linda Carson said...

WOW! You're one creative woman! I didn't know you could get such a clean cut using felt. Love the shape and stitching! Great job!

Ivanka said...

This is just beautiful Connie! Such a neat way to use the hexagon die. I used to cross stich but I don't think I'd have the patience now to do all that stitching. It really does finish a project so perfectly!