Thursday, January 26, 2023

Twisted Easel

 In our last zoom meeting April showed us how to do a twisted easel card, and a technique with our stencils.

We inked our backgrounds with distress inks, then we sprayed the back of our stencil with water and immediately, turned the wet side to the inked background and let sit for awhile, blotting with a paper towel, when you remove the stencil you will see the bits were the water hit the ink has now been removed leaving the look of the stencil.   I am sure if you search for twisted easel card you will find all kinds of tutorials.

We were to have an image colored and ready to go and I had done a no line coloring of this image and did not like it, so the next day I colored a new one using black ink and liked it much better, although I wonder if the coloring is a little dark for the background.  I also punched a butterfly and added it to the top, I know you don't see it when it is open but I liked it for when my friend opens the envelope it will be there.


  • Hero Arts - Filigree Patterns 2 stencil (inside of card)
  • Simon Says - Freestyle flowers (outside of card)
  • ODBD - Fragrance stamp set
  • Martha Stewart - Butterfly punch
  • Starform - Glitter purple/silver stickers
  • Provocraft - scissors to cut out sentiment

I used the wrong weight cardstock on this and I think the paper was still a bit damp from using the stencil when I applied it to the base, I have it under books right now hoping it flattens out a bit.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today,

Connie

15 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

Love the effect of the stencil technique. It's a bit different from what they call a monoprint so I'll put it on my list of things to try. To my eyes your flowers look beautiful with it, and the twisted easel is a nice way to display your artwork.

Chrissy said...

What a great technique Coonie and I love the twisted easel card, such a fabulous design..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Beautiful results Connie. Nice stencil too.

Kim said...

Oh, I think the flowers and butterfly look fabulous against the pretty background. They are not too dark at all. I love how they pop. Such a fabulous technique.

Birgit said...

I think it turned out beautifully, Connie! I have this technique on my list of things to try again. I tried it once but didn't leave the stencil on long enough for the water to work its magic. What a creative fold. So pretty displayed like this!

Donna Ellis said...

What a fabulous background for your twisted easel card, Connie, and so beautifully "crisp" in the layering and twisting. I made one of these - once - long, long ago, in a land far, far away LOL - what can I say, I'm one of those inept people who has trouble with paper "engineering". I toast to your success!
Crafting Smiles,
Donna
{Creative Smiles - my little crafting world}

April said...

Your card is so pretty! I love the colors and stencil you used. Such pretty flowers too.

Darlene said...

Beautiful twisted easel card Connie! Gosh, I haven't made one of those in years ... thanks for inspiration!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

The twisted easel card is adorable! I just watched a video on youtube today about making the very same easel card. It looks so easy! What a fun technique that you got to learn also!

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely card and very effective with the colours here, fabulously designed.. x

Lisa said...

Great technique with the spritzing of the stencil to remove ink and I love the happy colors you used. I still need to try the twisted easel card. When I need to make an easel card I somehow forget all the different easel cards that can be made.

Em Louise Fairley said...

Beautiful! Whenever I've done twisted easel cards, I've cut a full size card front and attached it to the base card so nothing is hidden when the easel is opened xoxo

Debbie said...

this is so clever, beautiful colors!!

Louca por porcelana said...

Gorgeous card, dear Connie. Have a lovely week ahead.

Esther Asbury said...

Oh wow - I love the fun fold you used to create this beauty. I've never tried the twisted easel before, but I love your version.