Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Oxide inks

Can you believe I actually made a card with no one in mind to give it to, I know I will actual have one in my stash.

My local stamp store said they had the new Distress Oxide inks in and after watching some video's on them I figured I had to get a few just to give it a try, I bought 3 colors, and for my first time I just decided to blend them and try stamping with them.



I used Bristol paper for this one, sponged on the inks and then took a paint brush and splatter water over the whole surface.  I left it to dry on it's own while I went searching for a stamp, and did a couple other things, when I came back there were still a couple droplets so I took paper towel to take them up, that is the white spots you see.  I then stamped my image using the same ink I sponged on the bottom of my card.  Used watercolor markers to color it, except for the tree trunk was colored with Tombow marker.

A little tip for you, I had colored the flowers in pink, but after I decided to add some spectrum sparkle marker to it and it didn't seem to mix well and turned the flowers almost a tan or brown color.

I should have just left it as it was but I thought it needed more so I took my Spellbinder die and just embossed with it, no cutting to frame it.

Distress Oxide-- Walnut stain, peeled paint and worn lipstick inks
Stampin up stamp -- sorry I don't know the name
Colored with Distress markers
Spellbinders -- Lattice rectangle die (embossed only)
Spectrum -- clear sparkle pen

Next time I play with them I think I will try some of the techniques Tim shows for using the inks.

I am linking my card today with CropStop February Challenge Here.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today!!

Connie

19 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I love distress inks and use them all the time now! I bought the mini ones to "get more for my money" and also found they are more versatile as you can use them in little spaces better!
Love your pretty background and the water spots -- they add character!
BTW - You should link this up to our current challenge on Cropstop - you've used several products from companies they carry (Tim Holtz, Spellbinders, Cuttlebug, Spectrum) -- I'd love for you to play along each month!
http://www.cropstop.com/blog/circles/february-challenge-link-party-25/

Anonymous said...

I don't think the embossing is too much, Connie, I think it adds a magical frame to it. Very pretty!

Donna Ellis said...

How pretty your new ink colors are! Beautifully done! Glad you had time to just make something for fun! Hugs, de

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

This turned out so well and I love the colors you chose to blend together!

Linda Walker said...

Hi Connie,
This is the sweetest card! I love the tree and those cute little whimsical birds! The ink technique turned out very well I think! It adds an interesting touch. I also love the variegated color! Hope you are having a wonderful week! xo
Linda

handmade by amalia said...

I'm always amazed at how many techniques there are out there and so impressed that you are constantly trying something new. This is a great card to have as standby, anyone would love it.
Amalia
xo

Lowcarb team member said...

It's always good to have some 'spare' cards handy ...
I love how this has turned out.

Enjoy your day.
We have very strong winds, in most parts of the UK, as Storm Doris passes over us.

All the best Jan

Unknown said...

Oh how wonderful, this is a beautiful card! You're lucky to have found them, that CHA advertising is making them sell like hotcakes! ;)

Mona Pendleton said...

Very pretty! Love the inky background!

Debbie said...

such a pretty soft and colorful pastel rainbow!! the pretty bluebirds are such a nice touch!!!

Leslie Miller said...

There's always something new to desire, isn't there? You've got a pretty color mix here -- great choices for your first three inks. Love the water spots and the embossed frame. I never think to do that with my dies. Also, the stamp is adorable! Anything with birds, you know... I've had that experience with wet glitter, such as Stickles or Stella, reacting with water-based inks. Your flowers still look pretty, though.

Esther Asbury said...

Thanks for linking to the Cropstop blog sweet friend!

Darlene said...

Oooooo very pretty Connie! Lovely soft colors and your design is awesome! Would you believe I have NEVER tried embossing with my dies ... you have certainly inspired me! Well done!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Connie, what a pretty card. I love the soft flow of the color. It's nice to have a card on hand that can be for any time. Your designs and work is always of the best quality!!
For some reason I just saw your posts arrive in my spam box. Not sure what is going on. I'm going to try signing up again.
Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings xo

Beth Norman said...

Very pretty, Connie. You blended the colours beautifully. I love your image and how the pop of blue stands out on the birds.

Christine said...

A lovely new technique for your cards Connie! This is just so pretty! I love the bluebirds!

Kim said...

This is a cool technique, Connie. The oxides smudging into each other is such a pretty effect. It is always an excellent idea to have a few cards on hand in readiness for sending a thought to someone.

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

I was just looking at the Oxide inks yesterday but decided I didn't actually NEED them just yet, that is until now and seeing your card. I love how soft it looks. Your card is filled with so much inspiration. Thank you for sharing!

Hussena said...

Oh, this is so very pretty! I can't wait to play with the Distress Oxide inks, too. They seem to be really fantastic. Love the effect you have achieved on your card.